Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bald as a Cue-Ball

I guarantee that almost 95% of women while doing their morning routine think to themselves, "I wish that I was bald. Life would be so much easier." But in actuality they don't really intend to shave off their luscious locks of silky long hair. They would be freaked out at the fact of having their hair fall out. I know I was in this category, and I did freak out a little when I was told that my hair would fall out.
Before I found out that I had cancer I was really excited that my hair was finally starting to get long again, so that by the time I got married, it would be about as long as it was right about before I chopped it at the end of High School. (I was almost there last summer but then I got antsy and chopped it again...) But then when I found out that I was sick, that goal went out the window.

For me, losing my hair wasn't as traumatic as they depict it in the movies. It was really hard when I would pull out big chunks when I was washing or brushing my hair. I just felt self conscious all the time, and felt like I was a molting chicken. I pictured myself like one of those birds who run into a wall and all their feathers go POOF! I went through a lot of lint roller sheets to stay clean, but as soon as I moved, more hair would appear all over my clothes. So it became more of an annoyance. I chopped it way short, and then buzzed it off. It was relieving in a way to have my hair gone after that.
I was so scared that I was going to look like I was on the movie "The Witches," or that I had a crater head. I actually have a pretty nice head, like Demi Moore or Natalie Portman. They are beautiful ladies.I mean come on, not everyone can pull off the bald look, but they sure can! So I am putting myself in that category as well. I'm not going to lie, sometimes it is hard not to have hair, but I have come up a list of advantages of being bald:
  1. Quick Shower.
  2. Easy to clean-no greasy roots.
  3. No brushing or blow drying.
  4. Convenient
  5. I get to change my look every day. Wig, Scarf, Hat, Bald, or Headband?
  6. Ultimate cooling device during the summer.
  7. I get to be a pirate every day.
  8. Built in Halloween costume-Uncle Fester.
  9. I look like Lord Voldemort, therefore I have magical powers and people fear and revere me.
  10. I get head massages all the time.
  11. It is fun to touch.
  12. Hardly any shaving (it does grow back a little bit in between treatments).
  13. My weight is less than if I did have hair.
  14. A chance to even out my tan.
  15. If buffed and shiny, I make a good mirror.
  16. It is a great conversation piece/starter.
  17. I get a lot of attention.
  18. I get to start fresh with new hair. It might grow back in curly or maybe a different color! How sweet is that?
  19. I get to look tough like Vin Diesel.
  20. Everyone wishes that they could be like me.
I'm sure I could come up with more advantages of being bald, but 20 seems like enough for now. I'll keep adding to it for sure. (If you have any, let me know).

So ultimately, my wish and everyone else's wish of wanting to be bald for a easier life came true! Oh, I am a lucky girl.So while everyone in the world is combing their luscious locks and wishing that they could be bald, I buff and stroke my head, then get to enjoy the cool breeze running across my white and slightly freckled head. Who knows, maybe I'll keep shaving my head for the rest of my life because I am so darn cute. Ha, probably not, but still, it is always an option. But one thing is for sure, I ain't gonna be a bald bride. Ha, I'm excited to see what I will look like with hair again. I don't think me or anyone else will recognize me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! My name is Brittany. I have a class (Prep for Eternal Marriage) with your fiance Skyler. When you came into class to talk to us, you were really inspiring and touched my heart. You are so full of light and hope! I particularly loved this blogpost because I want to be like Voldermort! :) I wish you the best of luck with your remaining treatments and with your engagement to Skyler. May the Lord continue to bless you. You are a wonderful daughter of God and I was lucky to have the chance to listen to you.

    ReplyDelete