Friday, July 23, 2010

Holy Cow! I've Done Ten Treatments!

So yesterday was my TENTH TREATMENT!! I can't believe that I have done ten! It only seems like five or six. But no. I have done TEN! I'm kicking cancer's butt! I have cancer, cancer doesn't have me!

So for this tenth treatment, I had to go to see Doctor Wallentine on Wednesday and get treatment on Thursday. This is because we here in Utah celebrate the 24th of July-Pioneer day-like the 4th of July. So their offices were closed on Friday, and he goes to the Gunnison clinic on Thursdays.

As I've said before, I do not particularly enjoy-I don't see who would-being poked in the port. I have started to shake and to feel really sick before I go and before the "love poke". The nurses say I am allergic to them and the chemo room.

Being the daughter of a Psychologist, I have been informed that this a conditioned response. I'm like the dogs Ivan Pavlov did an experiment on. I've linked them to websites to explain more fully. Basically, my brain has trained itself to be sick when I go to get treatment, and when I smell mints. I can't have the mints I used to help me anymore, and I have to use little kid watermelon toothpaste instead of my glorious Crest Whitening Toothpaste.

So Wednesday I got poked and got my blood drawn. I had the choice of leaving it accessed until the next day, or getting poked again. I decided to just keep my line accessed until Thursday. Let me tell ya, it was hard not to roll over on to it during the night, as I am a stomach sleeper. But I was very proud of myself that I stayed on my back and side throughout the night. Or else it would have really hurt.

My nurse missed it the first time. It really hurts when they miss because it stings all over my skin, and down my arm. Then it hurts where they push hard to find my port. Kind of like when you have a bruise and it gets bumped really hard.

Since she missed, she had to get another nurse to do it. (Thank you Breanna!) And because I went to work before my treatment, I forgot to put my numbing cream on as well. So it hurt a bit more. Good news is, I only threw up a little bit a few times, and they didn't hurt! Funny thing to be excited about, but trust me, I am grateful for only a few times. You'd be grateful too if it were you, and I am so glad that it is not. I'd rather it be me than any of you.

Doctor Wallentine even said that my cancer was basically gone, and that these last couple treatments would kill what is left of it, if there is any. He also set up an appointment for me to see a Radiology Oncologist to see if I need radiation. He thinks I will just to shrink the large masses left over. He calls it "bulky disease." (I teased him that he was calling me fat, and he just laughed and said no. I still think it was suspicious how he used that wording.)
There is nothing in the large masses, but shrinking them will make sure that there really is nothing left. So I really am getting better!

When I got my treatment, I was given fluids while they also administered the Drugs, and took a Lorazapam (which I lovingly refer to as "Peter Pan medicine,") to calm me down and help with my conditioned response. I didn't take the Fennogirn because I didn't want to get knocked out. (I don't like the feeling of not being able to control when I sleep and when I don't. This really makes me sleep. Which isn't a bad thing, it is nice just to sleep, I just don't like it.)

The fluids and Lorazapam have really helped me as well. I feel perkier, and a lot less sick. Yes Mother, I shall gladly say, "You told me so. You always know best." I was slightly refusing last time--blatantly refusing in her words-to go get fluids because I wouldn't drink. I instead forced myself to drink what seemed like my whole body weight in Gatorade.

They also give me a shot each time to help boost my white blood count called Neupogen. I usually have a high tolerance for pain, but Buttered French Fish Sticks, and Alaskan Asparagus does this shot hurt! It feels like a HUGE bee sting/stinging nettle/fire/knives spreading through your arm. I am ashamed to say that many a non-ladylike word has come to mind and might have even slipped out a time or two...

I have the option of getting it in the arm, the stomach, or even the buttocks. (Which I teased my parents that I would just moon the whole office while they gave it to me, ha ha. Don't worry, I didn't.) I usually get the shot in the arm because It has scared me to do it in the stomach. For one, I didn't want it to hurt all over my body. And two, I am self conscious of my chemo weight, and didn't want to have anyone see it. I know know why the call it a bread basket. It looks like a bread basket.

But because I was in a generally good mood, aka loopy because of the Lorazapam-I decided to get it in the stomach. It was AMAZING! I could barely feel it! I wish I would have been doing it there the whole time! (Again, Yes Mom, Cathy, and all you fine nurses, I shall gladly say "You told me so. You always know best.") I shall now get it there for now on.

So overall, I had a good treatment. The medicine worked well, and I only threw up when they poked and flushed me. It felt like the first few times that I had. I know that it is almost over, and that I will be well soon. Can I get a celebratory yell? YEEEAAHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment