Saturday, July 10, 2010

PET Scan Results

As I said earlier, I got my PET scan, and I received the results of the scan yesterday at my doctor's appointment. It wasn't my usual doctor, it was another one. (Doctor Wallentine was off at scout camp, so I got Doctor Smith.) He looked like a cross between Professor Dumbledore and Bert from Mary Poppins. He even had a bow tie. He was very nice-I don't see how you couldn't be if you are wearing a bow tie. I think we should all try it sometime. He told me that the cancer is gone, or almost gone. There are only a few tiny spots left that will go away within the next treatments. There is a slight chance that I will have to receive radiation though. The good news is, that I will only have to have the three more treatments and no more than that!! I am almost done! It still has not completely hit me that I am almost done, but it will shortly. I am still kind of out of it from my treatment yesterday.

I was so scared to go in yesterday, I was fine up until the moment that I had to go into the office. I sat there with Jenna and it seemed like it took forever for the nurse to come call my name to get my blood drawn (this is making me sick to even write about this, but I shall continue.) but at the same time I didn't want her to. She finally did and I went and picked a seat. I started shaking really bad because I was so nervous and the anticipation was killing me. I got super sick again when they flushed me, but luckily I had a barf bag on hand. After that, we went back into the doctor's office to wait and wait we did. It took him a long time to come, but when he did it was all good news. I'm so glad I had Jenna there with me to write down all the notes and to actually help me understand what he was saying. I didn't know this, but Jenna had brought those little party blowers, and after we were done talking to the doctor she pulled them out and we celebrated. It was cute. I love my sister. Have I ever mentioned that? Because I do. Very dearly.
Then we went back into the chemo room to get my treatment, and I got sick again. But what is great is that they have a little thing called Fenogrin. Oh that is a life saver. It took away the nausea, and I fell asleep-not to mention a little loopy. It knocked me out good. I slept through my treatment, and when I got home, I was out.
Today I have been really out of it as well. Just sick, and very sleepy. This cancer thing really takes toll on my body. But at least the medicine is working! I am very happy to hear that. I went to my dear friend Melissa's reception this evening, and it was so beautiful. She was a lovely bride. She was one of the very first friends I made when I moved to Springville. I have grown up with her and I am so glad to see that my childhood friend is happy with her new husband. I am so excited to get married next year and to be sealed to Skyler. I am so close!! (See it is starting to hit me more, I'm almost done!)

I am so blessed to live in a time where modern medicine can help me and others like me become well. I am so blessed to have the gospel in my life so that I might know that I can live with my family after this life and become like God. I am so very, completely and utterly blessed. I can't even explain it. I am so grateful for this time that I can get better and learn and grow. I can't believe this is almost over. I am going to need my Father in Heaven more than ever for these last few rounds. I know he is there and that he is going to help me. All I have to do is go to him and rely on him and his love. I know that he loves me. He will not abandon me. Even when all seems lost, he is there. I am never alone. All is well.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Rachel!! We are so happy for you! I can only imagine how nerve racking it must have been going in yesterday. We are so excited that you are almost done with treatment and that you and Skyler will be able to move forward now!!! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am clicking my heels for Joy for you Rachel!!!!

    ReplyDelete